Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Recipe - Steak with 2 Sauces (That takes 15 minutes to cook - total)

Recipe – The Perfect Steak

I don’t think I’ve actually cooked a steak before, not being a non-red meat eater myself, but I did for my partner tonight and apparently I nailed it! N.B I did repeatedly ask if he was just being polite …

Ingredients
·         steak
·         salt and pepper
·         Olive oil
·         Butter
·         4 sprigs of fresh thyme
·         2 cloves garlic, cut in half and in half again
·         ¼ of a cup stock (can use beef or chicken)
·         1 tsp of seeded mustard
·         a handful of parsley
·         juice of ½  a lime (could have used lemon)
·         a whole chilli

The Steak
1.       The steak was about 3cm thick so I took it out of the fridge approx. 30 mins before cooking, as it helps when the meat is room temperature
2.       I seasoned it with salt and pepper (both sides)
3.       Heated enough of a 50/50 oil/butter mix to ensure the fry pan was coated in a  thin layer
4.       Sautéed thyme and garlic till fragrant then threw out the thyme but kept the garlic
5.       Placed the steak on the oil and worked with a 3:1 ratio. In this case, because of the thickness it wasn’t quite 3:1 – rather 8 minutes on one side then 3 minutes on the other – this achieved medium- rare
6.       Took steak off the heat onto a plate and covered in with alfoil, resting it for 3 minutes while I did the following …

Steak sauce
7.       Poured in stock (can use beef or chicken) – approx. ¼ of a cup
8.       Added 1 tsp of seeded mustard
9.       Deglazed the frypan on high heat till sauce thickened slightly

Extra flavour
10.   Into a small food processor added
·          garlic (from the first stage)
·         a handful of parsley
·         juice of ½  a lime (could have used lemon)
·         a whole chilli
·         salt
·         pepper
·         just enough olive oil to moisten the ingredients

To serve
·         alfoil came off the plate
·         I spooned the sauce (mustard and sauce) over the steak ensuring that as it cascaded over the edges, the base of the plate was coated with a thin layer
·         I spooned the garlic and parsley flavour on top (just a little) and popped the remains in a small service dish so he could use as much or as little as he pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment