Monday, March 30, 2015

Review - Guillaume - Eastern Suburbs

My partner took me to Guillaume as he knows I love a great degustation. We had our degustation with matching mixed wines. What an outstanding experience!

The menu
“These are a few of my favourite things” would have to be the theme song. The following ingredients (across various dishes) jumped out to me as I perused the menu: Scampi, Truffle, Marron, and Patagonian Toothfish (anyone who’s followed my updates knows I’ve been ogling and coveting this lately).

Across the 8 courses, the Marron was my favourite followed by the Toothfish.

Nothing to complain about at all across any of the dishes – just three things I thought odd. The first being a sandwich as the amuse bouche. The second being the risotto was served with a side of mashed potato. The third was our booking was for 6pm and we were told to be out by 7.45pm. Really? 8 courses in  1hr 3/4??? We put time limits on couples spending $600???

Wine
Selecting the mixed option (versus the sommelier choice) did not sell us short. All wines complimented the dishes superbly.

Modifications
They couldn’t be more accommodating, it went as far as “I tell you what I feel like for dessert … “et voila my wish became reality. Love, love, love.

Staff
The staff are world class. They were flawless in terms of service and always available. Also, their passion for food came through every time a course was introduced. We found them conversational, down to earth and genuine – but I’m sure if other diners wanted to roll their “r’s” they could easily keep up.

Décor
Old school minimalist. Minimal décor, minimal noise, minimal colour. 

Nice Touch
They are currently gifting brioche and jam for your breakfast.

Pictures
Sorry – none of the food, just the menu ... which I later discovered is online anyway! Every time I pondered a snap I heard my mother's and late grandmother's voices in my head insisting I act more elite. As this was not the first time I’ve received this request, I put my phone back down on the table and it’s many layers of white tablecloths.

Top 3
My Sydney degustation top 3 are now (in no particular order) Café Pacifico, Pendelino and Guillaume.

Guillaume on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment